Thread: oiling issues
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2021, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

apparently you missed the part where i explained what can & does happen with dry filters, experienced it multiple times myself. not saying it causes catastrophic damage but you can clearly hear the clatter from the lifters/rockers, its not bearings. the filter takes 3/4 to 1 full qt of oil to fill & that brief break in oil flow can cause top end parts to run dry for a moment... dry filters are not a old wives tale.

the air in a filter whether dry or partially filled bleeds out instantly when oil is pushed in to it, it doesnt lock up anything since the outlet goes into the passages & crankcase that is not sealed on these engines. your scenario may be possible in dual remote filters with any given length of hose & the distribution between 2 filters... but on a factory pontiac v8 set up i dont see how air can get trapped in the filter. it has never happened to me in the 100+ oil/filter changes ive done & ive never heard of that happening to anyone else i know personally (lots of mechanic friends) or seen it posted on a car forum over the last ~15-20 years.

Last edited by 78w72; 10-13-2021 at 05:03 PM.