View Single Post
Old 10-12-2013, 11:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead View Post
Is the wall sinking as well as the floor? If so, you have a different kind of problem. If the wall is going down too, then the footing (or pier) is compromised. That means you need to get to undisturbed earth to correct it.

Many times foundations are not drained properly around the perimeter. This means that water flows under the footings in streams. When this happens, the earth underneath is eroded and the footing breaks. Couple this with the use of the lowest PSI concrete in the average footing and you have this type of issue.

If it is only the slab that is settling, then you have a somewhat easier problem that might be fixed with the mud jacking or taking up the slab and pouring another one.

The main thing is to make sure that your foundation and roof are adequately draining away from the structure and not under it or you could repeat in the future.
It's only the slab on the side of the floor to the house. I went down in the basement and the wall looks ok, but I don't think it would be a good idea to not correct it. I didn't mention it, but it's a two car garage. I only want to dig up the the 8x10 area if I can.