View Single Post
Old 07-21-2021, 06:55 PM
Boost Engineer

I ran solid flat tappet cams for over 50 years without any issues.
I plan on running a hydraulic flat tappet camshaft for the first time since I bought the car and it will be a street driven HO Racing camshaft with Rhoads lifters. The valvetrain hopefully will last the life of the car. But no maint vs checking lash occasionally like I did on the solid camshafts. My son will be driving the car.

Have seen or read about many failures over the years from the Lifter Needle Bearings, or the overall poor quality of the hydraulic roller lifter parts and yet the OEMs have run hydraulic roller lifter cams since the early 1980s.

I do not put enough miles on my lease vehicles to worry about that stuff with the daily drivers.

Not sure who made the original roller lifters for the first Mustang roller camshaft engines but I do know that CMC provided the steel camshafts. I assume they were original Muskegon Johnson Lifter Company parts, not the stuff the guys in the Detroit area are selling now days.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.