View Single Post
Old 08-06-2023, 08:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Once again, I come back to the good, better, best scenario. There are roller timing sets I wouldn't.....etc, etc."

Excellent info on the top shelf double roller stuff. On the flip side of your post I have used wide Morse chain sets for over 45 years now without a single issues anyplace, at any power level. In SBC builds (thru 1986 blocks) I use the Melling 3-489 set which is 3/4" wide like the Pontiac V-8 set, The 3-499S set is 5/8" wide but I'd still use one of those before any roller type timing set. I actually prefer the early Cloyes with steel gears but they are difficult to obtain, the Melling is readily available and also marketed by SA Gear.

Over all the years of building engines for my cars I've had ONE timing chain failure and that was in 2004 with a Rollmaster. It was also the only "double roller" timing set I've ever used on my own engine builds. My mentor was very specific and detailed about that part of the engine build so I followed his advice and SOB the very first time I went another direction it failed on me........FWIW......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),