View Single Post
Old 12-07-2021, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewm View Post
I am no expert on rears. There are several experts on this boards, and they frequently post and there is a ton of info available if you search on this site. However, it sounds (and looks) like you have an Olds Type "O" rear, which were made from 68-70, and are marginally stronger than a standard 8.2. However, they are not as strong as a 8.5 10 bolt from an olds or buick from 71-72. If you are going to drop a grand or more and rebuild a rear, I think a better starting point is the olds/buick 8.5 from 71-72. There are good 8.2's out there that would fit your car, but unless you rebuild, you are putting an unknown under your car.
This is solid advice you can take to the bank. No reason to run an 8.2 unless it's cheap and in good shape or just a cruiser. I have them in both my cars but have broken them in my youth more than once. A member here, Ol'Pinion Head or Pinion Head is THE authority on rear end swaps and what works best on these cars. He's been parting/fixing/driving these cars for decades and has all the information you could possibly need.