View Single Post
Old 12-07-2021, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBates View Post
Thank you everyone for the responses and feedback on my post.

If $$$ wasnt a factor and since I'm not looking for originallity the obvious route would be to go with a 12 bolt Chevy or aftermarket 9 inch.

Since my motor will be a fairly stock build (360 - 375 HP) I'm leaning towrads keeping the 8.5 10 bolts olds or possibly continuing my search for an original 8.2 BOP 10 bolt.

I plan on lowring my 66 GTO a couple inches and looking to go with 18 x 9" wheels on the rear. That being said I would prefer the stock rear end width in order to help avoid any rubbing on the fender walls.

When I removed the drive shaft I was only able to slide the drive shaft forward only about 1/2" or so which made it difficult to get the rear u-joint to come out. I ended up having to remove the u-joint caps and having to lightly pry it out. Does this sound like the prior owner didnt shorten the drive shaft or did they not shorten it enough?

Greg Reid, my rear u-joint was also retained to the olds pinion yoke by nothing but the u-bolts as well.

I'm located in San Diego CA and having a heck of a time finding an original 8.2 BOP 10 bolt. Franks Pontiac Parts & Auto Dismantling which is about 3 hours away has a 1966 GTO, Lemans 2.93 Open Diff Assy for $525. Its listed as in great condition, complete & ready to go. If I go this route I still need to replace the gears with what I'm looking for and will need to search for a suitable kit.
This is the same guy selling the 1968 GTO, LeMans, Grand Prix 3.55 Posi diff assy (ZH 291 N #9798896) with the chipped tooth on the ring gear and is asking $950. Based on the feedback I will stear clear of this one.

If I stay with my current 8.5 10 bolts Olds rear I might got with 400 Lemans suggestion
https://www.ronsmachiningservice.net...posi-gear-pkg/
Looks like this kit "GM 8.5" Olds "O" Axle 3.42 Ring & Pinion 28 Spline Posi Gear Pkg" runs at $940.

OG68 recommended an Differential and Axle shop which is located in a town right next to mine. I was planning on rebuilding the axel myself; however, I just might visit that shop to see about getting some additional feedback and an estimate.

In the meantime; thanks again everyone for the suggestions. Any additional feedback is greatly appreciated.

BTW if anyone is SoCal is intersted in selling a 8.2 BOP 10 bolt for a 1966 GTO, please hit me up.

Thank you
I am no expert on rears. There are several experts on this boards, and they frequently post and there is a ton of info available if you search on this site. However, it sounds (and looks) like you have an Olds Type "O" rear, which were made from 68-70, and are marginally stronger than a standard 8.2. However, they are not as strong as a 8.5 10 bolt from an olds or buick from 71-72. If you are going to drop a grand or more and rebuild a rear, I think a better starting point is the olds/buick 8.5 from 71-72. There are good 8.2's out there that would fit your car, but unless you rebuild, you are putting an unknown under your car.