View Single Post
Old 12-07-2021, 08:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBates View Post
I plan on lowring my 66 GTO a couple inches and looking to go with 18 x 9" wheels on the rear. That being said I would prefer the stock rear end width in order to help avoid any rubbing on the fender walls.
With your plans of going to 18x9" wheels, the rear end width doesn't matter. You have to buy new rims, so just buy rims with the proper backspacing.

In my '64, it had the 1" wider 10 bolt rear end in it when I bought it. With factory 15x7" GM rims with 4.25" BS, I was able to fit 255/60/15's on the rear with adequate clearance. I now run 17's and still running the same width rear end (now a 12 bolt).

Going to an 18x9" rim would require 1" more BS to center that same width tire in the exact same place in the wheel well. If you are going with a wider tire, you just need to add .5" of BS for every 1" of tire width.

Summit currently has 41 different 18x9" wheels with between 5.25 and 6" of BS, so wheel choices are more than abundant. If the style you want isn't among those 41 choices, many wheels are available with custom BS.