View Single Post
Old 04-02-2024, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueghoast View Post
I like your post and that broke motor WOW looks like two 4-cly blocks.

GT
I have been making my living as a mechanic, and started racing Pontiacs in 1970. There were a lot of hard learned/expensive lessons along the way. At 71 YO I might as well share some of the knowledge I have, not going to do anyone any good if it goes out of this world with me.

I was baffled in the early 70s when Pontiac enginers completely redsigned their mount system. Since none of the Pontiac engineers has ever come out with an explanation that I'm aware of, I decided to science out the reason for the change. It took me awhile to reverse engineer it, but if you stand back and look at the blocks side by side, it can be seen why the change was made. Having a windowed valley on the factory block only exacerbates the splitting up the center of the block.

I know some people get away with solid mounts in the stock locations, but after careful study of Pontiac engineering, I wouldn't recommend it. As I already posted, the further out from the crank center, the torque retention device is connected, the better leverage point the device has.

I like using the turnbuckles attached to the lower row of headbolts with rubber mounts, as they can be adjusted for a preload, or a small clearance to allow the engine to use the stock mounts, and move as the engineers intended, all depends on what application the engine is being used in.

I'm glad the explanation made sense to people that read it.........

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 04-02-2024 at 10:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post: