View Single Post
Old 08-16-2022, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22687 View Post
Thanks for your help Bruce. I'll try some different sheet metal type screws today.

As for the star washers I assume they were to bite in and hold the plastic without having to crank down too hard on those screws. Of course almost every used duct you see has the screw notches completely torn out anyway. That whole rail across the front is just too flimsy to take any over-tightening or flexing.

Agree that this section of ductwork is generally in pretty sad shape. Combination of crappy blow mold plastic, piss poor design, passengers' big feet and Stereo Monkey installation shops just undoing the two screws at the dash and reefing on the duct without 1st checking to find the support bracket on top and the two screws attaching it to the right side vent duct. Every issue I've had under my dash seems to have a line straight back to a stereo shop in Encino CA that the original owner paid to install an Audiovox unit in 1982.

I actually found a main air duct in reasonably good shape at Norwalk on Saturday. First used one I have ever seen with both the two screw notches intact and the top section where the bracket goes not cracked or chunked out. Not perfect but very repairable and in way better condition than what came with my car.
i just sold a couple of these ducts a couple weeks ago that were in perfect condition. repros are available now too for cheaper than some of the ebay & bigger sellers out there charge for ones with cracks.

the screws are just standard sheet metal screw threads but not sure if they have the same looking bolt head. the washers are pretty standard star washers too, should be able to find them at most hardware stores or even home depot type stores.

https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...E&gclsrc=aw.ds