View Single Post
Old 10-30-2021, 08:53 AM

Default Brown white wire melted under dash

I'm restoring my 68 GTO to original. I hope to have the car judged some day so I'm trying to keep it looking original. Every square inch of the car has been restored including the wiring. I have all new harnesses from M&H. I have spliced nothing into the harnesses it is as it came from M&H. I have checked the lights the radio tape deck engine spins over and has spark. I had the alternator rebuilt and restored to factory and I put a solid state regulator on the firewall with my original cover. I started the car yesterday for the first time with the body on the frame. It was an awesome feeling to hear her run after all the hours of work. After the engine ran for 30 or 40 seconds I noticed smoke coming from the dash. I shut the car off and pulled the battery cables. I looked under the dash and found the brown wire with a white tracer had melted. I traced the wire from the ignition switch to the wiring block that goes out to the engine. Nothing in the engine area is melted. But I did notice that the alternator got hot almost immediately upon the engine starting. Hotter than I thought it should be after running only 15 or 20 seconds. Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211014_043053.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	576540