View Single Post
Old 03-06-2024, 12:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's the problem:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramairnacho View Post
I was told ...
There is a LOT of bad information out there - especially on social media sites;
You can find a myriad of people stating something as fact that they have simply made up, or that is based on part truth.

This is the merit of a community like this;
You can still have people say untruths, but because of the searchability (ect) of a forum, untruths can be contradicted, and the facts can be better backed up.
Social media site posts get buried, and are often hard to find after the fact - You can be in a conversation with a probably well meaning individual one day where he gives you some convincing information, but that discussion pretty much disappears - so if someone with more intimate knowledge of the situation could interject, they probably won't becausue they won't see the discussion.

I have seen so much bs passed off as fact on social media sites/groups... it's almost staggering.

But to get back to your post;
I have NEVER ever heard of 70 Formulas showing up at the dealer with "damaged or broken hoods" - EVER.

What I have read time and again is that once the 1970 Formula was put into production, there started being complaints about the hoods tendency to bow in the middle, and that the bracing was added by the 1972(?) model year as a means of combatting the fiberglass hoods tendency to bow.

I do not believe there was ever a service bulletin, or service repair issued. (If there is one, I am sure it will get shared)

You can see this bowing on most Formulas.

I believe the only real "fix" that has been found to work is to simply release the hood when parked in your garage;
You can let the hood rest on the catch, but don't let it latch;
If my memory serves me, the bowing is a result of the hood hinge's tension - (wanting to open the hood) combined with the resistance from the latch, and is an undesireable result from the fiberglass construction.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
The Following User Says Thank You to unruhjonny For This Useful Post: