View Single Post
Old 04-02-2024, 12:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't understand why folks want to crank the engine longer than needed. Fire the biitch up, get the oil pump spinning. Oil pressure builds quickly, oil film wedge builds almost instantly. Oil flung off the crank spinning at fast-idle lubes the cylinder walls, piston/pin, and camshaft/lifter bottoms. Pumps-up the lifters quickly. Less wear on pretty-much everything because the oil is circulating like it's supposed to.

Or grind on the damn starter on and on and on and on, crank turns slowly, oil pump spins slowly, no oil film wedge, no oil slinging off the crank. Leads to excess bearing, piston/piston pin/cylinder wall, and lifter/cam wear. For that matter, it's not doing the battery, starter or the flexpate/flywheel ring gear any good, either.

I know which one I choose.

Fill the float bowl with gas, blow a little gasoline down the primary venturis--either by squirting gas directly in, or by working the accelerator pump AFTER filling the float bowl. Check the oil dipstick to assure the oil drain plug hasn't leaked all the oil out over the winter. Wouldn't hurt to verify the coolant level, the trans fluid level, PS, etc. Set the choke, (and therefore the fast idle cam) fire it up, watch the oil pressure gauge. Enjoy.

Last edited by Schurkey; 04-02-2024 at 12:38 AM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post: