View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 11:09 AM
Senior Chief

Where I live the gallon is about $8.. fuel economy isn't my main concern but sure, if it uses less than before it would be nice! Most important is that it works efficient.. I'll give it all the fuel it needs to work good anyway.
I really searched a lot to find someone who has experience with the tri-power carbs.. the only one I found could get it running but not really well. I'm afraid to drive around with this setup because at idle there is much too less fuel and at 2000+ there is also not enough, even with the bigger jets we used. There has to be a problem with the rebuild and I guess all 3 carbs need to be worked on again. Idle tubes need to be enlarged, gaskets need replacement again, float level adjustments.. even if I know some things because of your great input in this and my other thread, I can't do it on my own because chances that nothing works after it are rather big

I want to keep the tri-power for later and now use another setup like the Performer manifold with the Holley carb. (easy to get, cheap, should run pretty good)
To rebuild my tri-power I'll maybe find a way to send it to the US and have a real expert do his work on them. But I'm sure that will cost me more than the all new 4bbl parts and I haven't driven my car for 5 months.. I don't want to wait at this time and will try to find a way to make the tri-power work on my engine next year.

I found a mechanic who has real good experience with Holley carbs and also worked on some Pontiac engines. He recommended the Holley Double Pumper over a Street Avenger and told me the only disadvantage of the DP is the worse fuel economy. So if I get such a carb with the matching manifold I can make sure that my engine will work fine for now and since it is completely rebuild I don't want to hurt the engine because of a bad adjustment on the carbs.

Back to the manifold question:

1. I guess because of the small runners it will deliver good throttle response at low-mid rpm's as well as good power and will run "out of breath" at high rpm's, did I get this right? So would it help a little to use a spacer between the carb and manifold? (0.5to1".. whatever fits)

2. Will the Performer RPM manifold be a big advantage over the std. Performer if I don't rev it up to more than 5700rpm? (my max hp is at 5550rpm).

3. Does someone know if the Performer RPM manifold with a Holley carb and a std. 3x14" filter will fit under my hood? I'm concerned about hood clearance if I decide to use a RPM instead of the std. manifold.. but I also don't think the RPM will be much better for my needs.. your opinion on that would be interesting as well.

@tripwr1964

Your setup looks great and I agree with your opinion on the tri-power!!

@pfilean

Thanks for the pics, didn't know that their height has changed over the years. I only know my 66 setup looks like there is not much space left under my hood

this is my engine:

Last edited by Chris-Austria; 03-17-2013 at 11:21 AM.