View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 02:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Woodward Ave, Silver Bullit vs Blackbird

I thought this might be an interesting topic. I've been to the Woodward Dream Cruise 3 times and am a buff for the history of street racing around Detroit especially Royal Bobcat cars. I just love reading about this kind of stuff. Anyway, for those who don't know there was a 67 GTX back in the day called the Silver Bullet driven by a guy named Jimmy Addison who hung out on Woodward Ave. The car still exists today and has been restored by its current owner who displays it at the Cruise every year. His claim is that this car has never been beaten in a street race and was considered the king of Woodward Ave. A few months ago I was reading a thread on some forums (can't remember which one) where a few people posted seeing a race between the Silver Bullet and a black 68 Firebird in the early 70's. One poster said it may have been Jim Wanger's car that was called the Blackbird. One guy remembers that the Blackbird won the race, the other said that the race was too close to call. I was just wondering if anyone who grew up in the Detroit area remembers these cars and if the stories are true. A friend of mine has a 67 GTX and constantly goes on about the Silver Bullet being unbeaten. I would love to have some proof that it was in fact beaten and by a Pontiac!