View Single Post
Old 01-26-2022, 04:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by R 70 Judge View Post
I went from no thermostat to a 160* thermostat in my TA and it seemed to consistently run cooler on the street, but I also changed the radiator cap to a higher pressure unit at the same time so I honestly don’t know which helped. I hit 200*-205* on the street briefly before the change with no thermostat. Got up to 185* with the updated 160* stuff. I’m running a meziere pump as well. It’s funny this thread came up because I was just thinking about pulling water from the back of the heads like this first set-up posted to see if it would help.
Thanks for posting info James

I initially ran the hoses from back of the heads to the intake crossover and also run one to the return on the water pump bypassing the heater core. That was this past summer with a mechanical pump. We ran a 160* thermostat, and the hottest the engine got on the coolant gauge was 170* -175*. We still have the same radiator from other engine that was 600 hp. This combo is 789 hp and 700 torque. 505 cu in.

I just installed the electric water pump this winter and I also removed the return to the water pump that is for the heater core. I figured if no thermostat used that there is need to feed water pump return. I blocked this one off.
Again, I haven't tested any of this yet with new electric water pump. My only concern at this point is getting the engine up to temp with no thermostat installed. I like the way it ran before with mechanical pump. I went to a serpentine setup as we were having trouble throwing P/S belts. I figured at the time I would install electric water pump an would assist in coolant engine after a run.

I have the hoses setup like your first pic.

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.