View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Pattern?

Nope. I used the plans for the VW GTX I found online as a starting point for the general construction and just started bolting on wood to the car. I generally don't use plans when I build, I tend to do better just winging it for the most part. Sometimes I WAY overthink something and never actually get it done. Especially with something like this, everyone's car will be a little different, things like height off the floor when starting, attaching points, weight of the car, etc.

Of course, by doing it this way there tends to be a few oops along the line. Like I realised that I have made the rear section too wide, the pivot point would be a bit too far from the car. But just a matter of cutting off about 6-8 inches of the main board (think bumper) and redoing the upright support. I didn't like how that support was going anyway, so this is a good chance to re-do it better. I built a bed frame this same way a few years ago. My wife still laughs about the look on my face when the mattress fell through when putting it on the first time. I double counted the thickness of the wood I was using and made it just a tad too wide.

That last is one reason I haven't gone out of my way to take pictures. Thing looks crappy right now. Somebody would be sure to think that I was finished with it and start screaming about how weak it looks.

Really hoping I can get this compressor. It is still just a roll around type, but it has a 20gal tank, it is an older sears craftsman model. That would really help with the cleaning and de rusting. I already have some cheaper air tools just waiting for me to break. If I don't, then I am going to finish this tilter up for sure. Going to have my wife tape my first tilt, just in case it is good enough for america's funniest home videos.

Russ