Thread: Demon's Demise
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2006, 09:58 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker455
Dave,
Thanks for sharing some of your experances and from 99% of the rich at idle cases I've seen is due to the idle Feed Restriction (IFR) that's too large and I think this is done intentionally by both Holley and Demon to ensure no customer comebacks with holes burnt in the tops of there pistions from being too lean.

One of my first experances with the Mighty 825 was on a friends built 455HO
and his mix screws were just off seat with stock jetting and the IFR was approx .038".....ended up washing down the engine...

when I worked on it I installed .035" IFR's and he purchased a new baseplate with the idle-eze adjustable bypass air system so he could maintain good throttleblade position and it now works great.

Doug,
Got your PM and I sent you one.

Jeff,

You are correct in that a carburetor calibration has to air towards the rich side for safety. Not just due to damage, but from usability. What we’ve found over the years is that in most cases if a carburetor is too rich, the end user can at least get the engine to run so they can start their final tuning process, however if it is too lean they’re not able to even keep the engine running which in turn leads to more problems trying to adjust and fine tune.

Got your PM. Thanks…

Technical Support

Barry Grant, Inc.

BG Fuel System, Demon Carburetors, Nitrous Works, Rush Filters

www.barrygrant.com