View Single Post
Old 08-09-2022, 03:33 PM
Senior Chief

I've used imported repop, Painless and both types of American Auto Wire kits. Import harnesses I've installed in the past have had issues mainly with connections at the bulkhead, I'm more confident doing my own work. My favorite is American Auto Wire due to the flexibility for modifications and improvements that are built-in including modern relays and fuses. I just finished an AAW Classic Update harness in our '69 Bird. Since my ignition, charging, gauges, and audio have all been updated, the classic harness was perfect for me, all the correct wires were included. You can add or remove wires from the fuse block to fit your needs and extra circuits are there if needed. Some of the wiring is heavier than OEM and all the wiring is longer than needed, but it allows you to route it however you want and there are more grounds than factory. You also have to cut-to-length and terminate every connection, except for the main instrument panel connections, so labor time is longer than other choices. You can install it to stock components or modified. All of the connectors and wiring are excellent quality. As said, you'll need a good cripming tool.

After seeing a Dodge Charger on fire one day on the side of the freeway, I'm a firm believer in replacing old wiring, regardless of appearance.