View Single Post
Old 03-19-2021, 10:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

TransaAm 474 - I agree , the price of roller is a bit crazy. For my next build - i am likely dropping the roller and going with hyd cam. Roller cam and associated parts hike up cost a lot ...roller cam $500/600? roller lifters $500/600, composite distributor gear $120 - I also added crower steel rockers $500/600.
So, there is around $2000.
One of my fav builds was when I was in university (and low on funds)...I had '71 455 with cast rods (good bolts), forged trw pistons, HO Racing HC-02 hyd flat tappet cam, rhoads lifters, 1971 400 #96 heads (good valves, HO Racing VS11? springs (3 angle , tiny bit diy pocket porting, heads planed .050), edelbrock performer intake, '72 buick 800cfm qjet. I had this in 81 WS6 TA with THM350 and 3.08s and it flipping tore your head off and i could get it too hook a bit better on launching. I used BFG comp TAs 255/60/15. A lot easier to drive at track...ran 13.0s at 107mph. I used 1 5/8 headers and 2.5" duals and one big flowmaster crossflow muffler. Sure maybe only made 375/400hp? but made a boat load of torque. I seem to recall car weight being around 3900 lbs (with me in car).
My current 'higher end build' ...now that I have more $$...uses good aggressive roller ...but then I need better valve springs..and better pushrods...better rockers...making more power need scattershield...etc etc...everyone knows the game This build is about 2/3? times the cost...stroker kit $2000..heads by SD Performance $2500/3000...roller and parts $2000 - I think I got around $10000 in motor/trans with parts , machining , balancing etc...though lots of better parts (pretty bullet proof valve springs, valves, pushrods, crank , rods , scattershield etc etc ). I think this higher end pricey build could run mid 12s ...but I would need to get it took hook...and I suspect I would need to beef up the Super T10 to do that ....and then maybe the rear too.
Hey Jay re: "Curious on the big cc’s of your heads? Does the SD performance CNC program do some machining in the chamber?"
I am not sure if SD Performance machined the chamber. If they did it was just some minor light grinding or polishing. I dont recall the chamber looking too much different from stock. Maybe that added a few cc's...seems even some 6x-4 heads can be on higher end of cc volume,

The Following User Says Thank You to pippintook For This Useful Post: