Thread: ChatGPT
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2023, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure what outperforming the smartest person on the planet would entail. Outperform them how? And how is "smart" being defined. There are extremely high IQ people that can't tie their own shoes. There are people that test extremely poorly that can memorize pi to 1000 digits.

Computers are not "intelligent", computers do a LOT of things very FAST. The people that program computers are intelligent.

AI is very good at answering questions. AI is horrible at coming up with new questions. Almost all advances in technology were at their foundation ... a question that no one else thought to ask.

AI is 99% media hype. Happens over and over again with every big advance in machinery or technology all the way back to steam engines.

I'm not saying we will never create a true intelligence that is artificial ... but it's a very long way off, and when it happens, it will either catapulte the human race to unimagined heights of progress ... or it will replace us quite quickly.

Personally I am of the belief that the human race is the only species that ever existed that is working as hard as it can to replace itself with something else. And I believe that someday we will succeed. Our next major evolutionary step ... will be replacing our species with an artificial one ... at which point humanity will have ceased to exist as we know it. But, that is a long, long time from now ... but perhaps within the next 1000 years.