View Single Post
Old 08-25-2021, 02:04 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Most of the factory cams from CMC (Wolverine) were installed with the key way ALREADY machined for the 4 degree advance (if memory serves me today). The Factory RA-IV Melling cams were ground exactly to GM specs with the key way machined with no advance in the key way.

If the camshaft DID have advance built into it, Rodney/David Butler probably would have installed the 4 degree advance/ retard (with the key flipped around in the camshaft so that you could do the "dot to dot" you mentioned in your post above. My cam is at 12 o'clock dots up on both Gears so # 1 is on top dead center on the compression stroke.

Not sure that Melling ground every replacement RA-IV camshaft with no advance. I read that Melling was the manufacture for the Pontiac cams in this forum discussion.

Tom V.
The "041" cam is Great in that at 3000 rpm with the Gear Vendors on Automatic side overdrive in fourth gear say I am cruising at a very comfortable 80 mph with these 3.23 posi-traction four wheel disc set-up. I hate to loose this pro about this Pontiac "041" . Yes, the Pontiac engineers know what they are doing. All that testing and tuning pays off. This is why I am taking so long to get my vehicle perfect, as all of us are basically starting from scratch posthumously learning what the Pontiac engineers forgot.Tradermike out.