View Single Post
Old 12-04-2021, 11:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From my experience building these things, B-man is pretty close to on the money and very similar to how I approach a build if you want it done right. It doesn't have to be a big HP build to reach these price tags. Even with a complete engine sitting there, the only parts I use is the block, the crank, and a bare set of heads. Maybe the intake and carb.

Just doing a set of used iron heads alone always seems to get me up around $1000 at a minimum. I don't consider them done correctly, and wouldn't expect them to last unless they have all new guides, new stainless valves, new seats, positive seals etc etc.... The last thing I want after a build is an oil sucker and if the heads aren't done properly that's what you get.

From there it adds up, with block work, and the fact that I won't use 50 year old rods in an engine. The cost to mag and resize them with new bolts gets you more than part way to a new forged set that'll be stronger anyway. And I always have those checked as well, and usually end up resizing the big end and most often than not the small end needs tweaking for proper pin clearance.

Even a budget flat tappet cam isn't really budget with me because I end up nitriding the camshaft and using more expensive lifters with EDM holes for some pressure lube on the lobes.

It just goes on and on. You'd be surprised how quickly things add up, especially for quality work, even on a low HP build. But in the end I know I have an engine that will last and perform the way I'd expect it to.

Best of luck, find yourself a good machinist that cares about what he does.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post: