Thread: 303 Ram V
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekuhn View Post
Friendly correction....... You're completely right about needing the jumper, but to be precise, it is to bypass the resistance wire to supply the full 12v to the amplifier box, not the coil. On the CD system, the amplifier charges the main 2uF capacitor with over 300v, and then discharges the 300v through the coil primary winding to initiate the spark. That's why the CD system uses a coil with different electrical characteristics - lower primary resistance and inductance.

It's also why you can't trigger a tachometer from the coil. The amplifier box provided a low voltage pulse signal for a tach.
Thanks for the correction on the jumper harness, sometimes I get ahead of myself when typing. If you still need an amplifier, I have an NOS 010 in the box. Not the correct number for a RAV, but at least it's for a Pontiac and not an Olds. I think I have a repro. mounting bracket for it as well. PM me if interested.

Chevrolet also used one of the epoxy fillled coils in the late 50's and early 60's on their 6 cylinder. It is # 296 and was only 9 volts.