View Single Post
Old 09-14-2021, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
That's how I have my 70 Formula set up and I honestly have no intention of overdriving that one. I find it perfectly fine for long trips and we routinely use it just for that. I run a 28" tire on it which helps, and it'll cruise fine at 70 mph for hours and still knock down 17 mpg. I have a ton of fun drag racing this car as well, and because of the gear it doesn't set the world on fire, but it's respectable and still fun. So I have nothing at all against a 400 turbo and very mild rear gears that are highway friendly. Of course with an overdrive it would do everything better but I'm pretty content with this one to just leave it alone. I actually use it as my main transportation as my wife uses the 69Z. When I have errands or someplace to go, I jump in the bird.
yes 27.5-28" tall tires her too. 70mph on long trips seems excessive to me but im sure its not a real concern, the headers & 3" exhaust make it sound worse than it is.

my 81 turbo t/a with 3.08s does fine at 70, i actually drove that home from tucson to iowa when i bought it in the late 90's, drove as good as any other modern car of that era & didnt skip a beat for 1500+ miles. now it & my other 2 are just fair weather drivers, i have a modern SUV with A/C & 21+ mpg for daily driver use.