View Single Post
Old 09-13-2021, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
LOL you had to go there

There are quite a few of us here that have done enough overdrive swaps with various setups that can comment on how they like it and what worked or what didn't. Steve loves his 200 and it's worked very well behind his 505 for years.
I've been talking to Dave off the forum about 4l80 swaps as we were both doing one at the same time, and he had a hell of a time with 700's in his car. Now completely thrilled with the 4L80E.
I'm more of a stick shift overdrive fan and have done a ton of those. When it comes to auto overdrives, for anything with some power, I like my 4L80E. I'm more of an electronic transmission fan when it comes to auto overdrives because it allows me more precise control of everything, including lockup functions.
yeah but its a legit question. the recent comments had me a little worried but i know better. ive always considered a 200r for its easy swap into 2nd gens & have heard of many doing it with great results, even in higher HP cars. i would have pursued it on my recent TH400 car build but i had a brand new TCI th400 from a previous project that didnt happen so i used that to keep costs down.

i agree the 4l80 is the best choice for OD nowadays but the 200r has been the go to for at least 20 some years & for the most part they work great when set up right. & ive personally seen a GN run in the 9's with the turbo V6 & 200r & there are all kinds of them out there doing 10's with ease. im sure the 200 has its limits like all things do but they are far from junk as some claim.