View Single Post
Old 09-22-2022, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

2 years out of an optima? something was going on to make it die in that short of a time. optima has a pretty good warranty & would have replaced it. i have friends that use the red top & yellow top optima in mostly race only cars but some street use... the red top lasted 10 years & the yellow in it now is at 8+ and doing fine. he never maintains them or uses a maintain charger, just starts it up in the spring or puts it on a charger for a couple hours if its slow cranking.

i want to try one of the lightweight AGM batteries like braille next time i have to buy one, but for all 3 of my cars & my daily driver i use either super start from oreillys, last one i had just died after 12 years, or have had very good luck with dura last from auto zone, got 9-10 years out of the last 2 ive used. my daily driver uses walmarts more expensive brand that was in it when i bought it, going on 6 years old now with no signs of slow cranking. i also have 2 walmart batteries i bought used for $20ea, they are 2017 date & also still working fine. only battery i've had die in 4-5 years was an interstate...

on my cars that are stored in the winters, i dont use a maintainer, just bring them inside to a not always heated but insulated garage, or in the house before i had this garage. i charge them for a few hours once a month & within a couple weeks before spring use. been doing this for 25+ years, when they are about to die they will start to slow crank & not hold a charge as long but never been stranded or had a no start issue. if a battery is dying in 2 years or even less than 5, something else is causing that like too cold or hot of temps when not fully charged or the maintainer is not charging right & cooking the cells.