View Single Post
Old 06-03-2022, 08:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"CE metering rod is the richest long power tip rod originally made by GM for any quadrajet"

Whatever published source you used was in error, I suggest that you get your micrometer out and do your own testing.

"the early Pontiac SD455 and Buick 455 1970-74 carbs were always listed as 800cfm rating"

Incorrect again, the 1970 Buick 455 carburetors are the smaller castings. Two errors in your information. Not trying to be critical but IF you are using research as the foundation for your the information you are posting it is inaccurate. How accurate was the Doug Roe testing from 1973? Did he actually do the testing, and did they use an adjustable stop or vary the open angle of the secondary air flaps during that testing?

As for the larger castings being "800" vs "850" cfm, I had the smaller primary bore castings tested, the 1971 455 HO castings tested, and the larger castings as well. My source came up with the same numbers that Edelbrock did for the larger castings when the air door was opened to the angle listed in my book in Chapter 6 about Edelbrock Q-jets.

I didn't make a big deal about it in the book because it is NOT easy to do that sort of testing and we also noted that companies who do "rate" their carburetors for CFM don't all use the same standards/test methods. Even so I mentioned it briefly a couple of times in the book and in this thread and already regretting it seeing how one person got their panties all wadded up about it.......FWIW.

I really think that the dyno and drag strip testing I did is more important and shows us the potential of the different Q-jets. Back to back to back at several private track rentals I tested a 1970 Pontiac RAIV carb, 1971 HO 455 carb, 1977 Pontiac 17057274 carb with the air door allowed to open the same as the Edelbrock 1910, and a Holley 4781-2 850DP carb with downleg boosters.

The dyno showed that all the carburetors were dead even to 4500rpm's before any differences started to show up. At the end of all the pulls the 1977 Pontiac Q-jet made the most power, followed very closely by the Holley 4781-2 carb, then the 455 HO with the Ram Air carb finishing last.

I backed up the testing at the track and the 1977 Q-jet ran .02 seconds and .3 MPH quicker than the Holley 850 which backed up the dyno differences to a "T". Remarkably the 455 HO carb was almost the same as the 850 Holley and for some reason showed slightly more MPH. To this day I attest that to the fact that we were using a dual plane intake with wide plenum areas designed for spread bore carburetors (They are lined up directly in the center of the plenum areas) . The 1970 400 RAIV carb lagged behind close to where it should have by looking at the dyno results. Nearly as I can remember is was down almost 2mph on top end and almost a tenth in ET. Sadly I lost those test results when my last hard drive crashed so don't have the details to put up here for comparisons.

Hope this helps some instead of continuing to fuel the "witch hunt"......FWIW........Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post: