View Single Post
Old 09-07-2021, 08:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
In the end, what will F.I. give you over a good carb .
If you're good with a carb and know the ins and outs, not all that much if you stick with the throttle body EFI's.

I'm still a carb guy at heart and decades of playing with them I've learned a lot. What a lot of people find funny is that our 2 daily drivers are still carb, one Holley and one Q-jet, and they do everything perfectly. I only have the EFI stuff on the cars we play with.

The throttle body EFI's are okay. It's nice to be able to go in and pick an AFR you want for a particular cell and fine tune different areas of throttle and rpm. It's more difficult to do that with a carb and gets time consuming but it's doable, just not as precise. Probably the best thing I like about EFI is the self tuning and it's ability to sense and adjust for elevation changes. That's what really sold me on the throttle body EFI. We deal with so much elevation change here that you really just have to find a happy spot with the carb and leave it. The EFI keeps that AFR pretty steady no matter where I'm at. Nice when we go to the track that's near sea level and most of our driving is a mile up. Other than that there really isn't a big difference over a carb.

The multi port fuel injection systems have more advantages over a throttle body unit. Better fuel shot right at the back of the valve is one. The ability to tune individual cylinders is another big one that I like.

It just depends on what you're looking for and what you're willing to dive into.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE