View Single Post
Old 11-20-2022, 04:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I mean no disrespect, but would like to point out a bit of a problem with the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry455 View Post
You guys that say Buick has not built anything exciting since the GN have probably never driven a 2012 or newer Regal GS. That is a great car, I owned a 2016 for a couple of years, before buying my truck. It has a turbocharged 2.0 4 cylinder making 260 hp. Some were available with a manual transmission and all-wheel drive was an option. It handled very well and is fun to drive. ...
Problem #1

or maybe you want one with four doors:

Problem #2

Both of these vehicles are actually the same platform, but rebodies of each other - and they are also "wrong wheel drive" just like the Buick.

Why are they problems for the Regal GS?

The GS's are essentially bigger and more bloated versions of the earlier cars.

I believe that road tests had the Regal GS's coming in at a full second slower in the quarter mile than the Cobalt.

Problem #3

or

or

Granted GM abandoned all those vehicles, likely because of lagging sales - but these were all launched at an economic downturn (remember the bail out?);
All vehicle sales were down - not just sport compacts.
GM would repeatedly shoot itself in the foot;
Surely I cannot be the only person here to recall that first year solstice's had waiting lists(!);
So what does GM do when they have a hot product(?) - they dilute the water, and introduce another car on the same platform... sheesh.

They were all fantastic products, and between the three (err, four) different name plates, they had a pretty wide market swath... nasty car reviewers trying to get noticed aside.

I would buy another Cobalt SS today if they were still making them - I now know where I needed to pay better attention to ward off rust.

I actually took notice of the Buick GS, but to me it seemed like more hype for nostalgia than much else.

When GM did away with their old franchise system, GMC & Chevrolet trucks essentially held the same spot - one of those could go, and I doubt anyone would really notice.

I agree with other statements made in this discussion, but wanted to point out that the Regal GS was far from the overlooked awe inspiring 2.0L Turbocharged vehicle you seemed to make it out to be;
Rather it was essentially (to me) a recycled, tarted up compact fwd car that would have only had a tiny potential buying audience.

Now to anyone who cares to scoff at the Cobalt SS's, just look at the sales of the pre-2008 models - that should speak for itself;
and if anyone wants to point out the ratio of n/a cars (2006-2007) vs same year boosted cars;
I have time and again heard stories of sales staff steering men AWAY from the boosted car and into the n/a car.

There, I said my bit.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)

Last edited by unruhjonny; 11-20-2022 at 04:23 AM.