View Single Post
Old 03-16-2024, 12:08 AM

I have a number of Pontiac engines to put together hopefully. Since I have never broken a Pontiac rod and none of the 10 blocks I have, most with original rotating assy's have holes in the side I am somewhat skeptical they wont be adequate for my needs if reworked. I was planning on sending 2 sets for rebuild and cryo and having ARP bolts installed just to put on shelf as my stock replacements for street applications with a little safety factor. Bought the ARP bolt sets already, one set is for the early steel rods and one for the later iron rods. I know earlies are not popular, mine are heated treated and I remember climbing 6 high in junkyard to find em I will use. Thinking my 66 Star for street duty. Just made a friend at Starrett(we went to HS together) he is working a 84-111-4 bore gauge for me, I plan to use to get accurate readings on oil clearance, taper on rods and mains and cam bores .. my stuff will come through 1 of 2 top level shops where things should be dead on but "I'll just check" and log what I find when I put together. Bought Rehrer-Morrison book( text for their class) on engine assy. Not sure it is as in depth as I wanted concerning bearing clearances. I will say I have a set of 4340 CAT H-beams with ARP rod bolts that have been through both shops, and have been balanced to chromed Scat crank to under .001 front and rear per measurements I received. For an engine I intend to pound on alittle. I have billet main caps for my YK block(future) and also for a 92 4bolt sbc(this year) .. current poncho is cryo'd 2 bolt caps. Wondering 2 things ..
1. is there such an animal as billet replacement caps for
factory rods?
2. how important is it to keep same rod cap with rod as I have
several sets that are mixed up now