View Single Post
Old 10-01-2022, 11:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 64 blocks had the starter provision, but it was only used on stick shift cars, and turbine 300 2 speed automatic A body cars. The 64 B bodies were still 4 speed hydra-matics and slim jims, for automatics. 64 stick cars had an new aluminum bell housing, (previous bell housings were cast iron), and a new flywheel that required the block mounted starter. The 2 speed GTO/Tempest/Lemans also required a block mounted starter, but only were used in A bodies. The B bodies still used a bell housing mounted starter on automatics.

The TH 400 first appeared on 65 B bodies, and on 67 GTOs for the first year in an A body.

I also have never seen any 64 blocks that weren't drilled for block mounted starters, and I've seen quite a few in the last 55, plus years that I've made a living turning wrenches.

I believe standardizing the block for the provision to use either mounting was a money saving thought that all the blocks. One machining operation could be used for all cars, no matter if they needed a bell housing starter, or a block mounted starter. 64 was he final year for the B body automatics requiring a bell housing mounted starter, before switching to the TH 400 in 65. 64 was a changeover year, that fit both applications.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post: