View Single Post
Old 02-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. P-Body View Post
The Cosworth Vega was "loosely" based on the Vega aluminum block, but there were some differences. It was also 2.0 lr. as opposed to 2.3. Sweet runner! MUCH tougher than the 2.3 counterpart. And while similar, the Quad-4 head doesn't have the open side. Quad-4 is a GREAT engine, with some "quirks".

In the early '90s, we built a fair number of the 2.7 lr. version of the 2.5 SD for "midget" racers. In one case, we dynoed one with 314 RWHP, gasoline, Hilborn injected. Those used the aluminum "cross-flow" SD head. GORGEOUS head!

The same 2.5 SDs dominated the "Goody's Dash" series for a number of years. In NASCAR "Mini-Stock", all "aftermarket" parts were banned. They still allowed lighter pistons and better rods, but ONLY "production" heads, blocks and cranks. They gave the 2.3 Ford a tremendous advantage by allowing the roller rockers, "turbo" head, etc. Still, we managed a few wins with the ol' Duke.

Today, we're in "parts collection" mode for an '86 Fiero we want to put a 3.4 Twin-cam in. That's another very well executed DOHC GM offering.

FWIW

Jim
The Midgets were right at 365 HP @ 7500 with our combo in 87. Mag SD block, 801 head and I think 2-1/8 injectors on methanol. Yes, you could twist it even more but making it through the season was more important. On the shorter tracks some of the old SD's are still running. There was one that finished 10th in 2002 at the Chili Bowl out of 200+ cars and it was using an iron block/801 head

I will say that it was not 166 CI and according to the owner they were only twisting it 7000. I do have a soft spot for them and always thought a stripper 3rd gen Firebird with about 200 CID SD and a Hair dryer would be a neat ride. I ran the what if's years ago and think it was good for 475 HP on gas and that was not leaning on it very hard.

In the day The Pontiac for midgets was a very reliable program compared to the Fontana and the Cosworth. The Pontiac spelled the end to the run by Autocraft VW's in Midgets. The Cosworth was only a few HP more and at 122 CID lacked the TQ of the SD. I can say I never have seen that head Cosworth) for the SD. It would have had to run at 122 CID and would have to have been much better than the 801 to make up for the 44 inches.

Just some thoughts from long ago and far away

08 Torrent GXP (wife's)
09 G8 ST (UTE) black

A pissed off fat house chimp on dope would be a lot more deadly.