View Single Post
Old 02-17-2024, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomotivebreath View Post
Wow - how can the S60 be that much cheaper ? That’s the route I’ll go if I make up my mind for an aftermarket .
Part of the difference is from not comparing them equipped the same…brakes, carriers, ect.

I just looked at all this stuff a few weeks ago on our 68 GTO. So it is kind of fresh in my mind yet.

For an A body the basic QP 9”, some small upgrades for the heavier case, with no brakes or paint it is roughly $2200

For an A body, no paint or brakes the S60 is about $2800.

For an A body no paint or brakes the Moser 12 bolt seems to run about $3600.

You have so add some options to the QP9” to make it as strong as the S60. Internal gusset in the case, heavier housing, billet front support, and a back brace. Not all gear cases are equal either. Adding that stuff to make it stronger the 9” it is maybe $200 cheaper than the S60, but can actually be higher depending on the part used, and even slightly heavier. The S 60 is about 20 lbs heavier than the Moser 12 bolt. The lightest is going to be the QP 9” with an aluminum gear case, until you add the back brace, then it becomes about the same as the S60 weight wise.

There are some tricks to holding 9” rear ends for power. Like what Jones said in that post, they are not completely bullet proof like some claim. One friend a couple years ago sheared a pinion off on his aftermarket 9” case coming off the line at the strip and broke everything behind the engine, including the tranny case. $$$$!

The photo is an example of were the 9” will often break. Taken last year out on the highway by my place. Sent the driveshaft rolling across the highway. Most of us that have ran 9” very long have also broken a 9”. Big power guys set the pinion contact deeper because they put a lot of thrust forward on the pinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6DCA0B1C-E793-4908-BEB9-7A85A67CBD8A.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	628777  

Last edited by Jay S; 02-17-2024 at 01:44 PM.