View Single Post
Old 10-14-2021, 02:17 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekuhn View Post
Here’s my summary of what’s been learned from this thread:

SOMEBODY installed a ‘66 TriPower and a ‘58 - ‘62 camshaft on a ‘67 428 engine, AND transplanted the engine into a late ‘70’s Firebird prior to your purchase of it. The engine block has some numbers stamped on it that the factory did not do. No one has been able to produce pictures or documentation of engines with similar markings that might help determine who made the markings and what they mean.

You have received numerous responses from people who have been in the Pontiac game a very long time and who have been around some very exotic factory rare pieces, and all of them are giving their opinion that what you have is a nice 428 that someone did some parts swapping on. I tend to agree. The biggest reason to me, is the camshaft. Why would a dealer install that old Cam when the current TriPower Cam (068) would have been readily available and provided higher performance?

As you surmised, unless you can find original owner of the original car, you will never know the story.

No rudeness is intended.
Mike Here: None Taken, thank you for your reply. Your probably correct and I believe you. I am looking at both sides. I never experienced the "068" or "067" Cam, even though they appear to be close to my Cam specs. Why are "068" or "067" Cam an upgrade to my 428 ci HO Tri-Power Engine that contains my specific Cammed Engine.

I can see that on a 4bbl Version of the 428 ci HO using the Intake designed for it, there would be an Improvement. The 1966 421 ci with the Tri-Power system and "067 or 068" is equal to the 428 ci HO with a 4bbl from what I read, because of the additional displacement only...Now the 428 ci HO motor does not know that one put the 3 Tri-Power Carbs. on it or the # 886 cam or Tri-Power Intake on it.

Despite the" Edict" the 428 ci HO with the "886" Cam and Tri-Power Carbs. and Intake Manifold is better than the 4bbl on the 428 ci with Eather the "068 or 067" Cam. So, where is this improvement you're talking about. I say that the cam # 886 belongs with a Tri-Power system and works well because it was tried and tested for 10 years prier. Try to factor in that the Tri-Power Intake is unique to the Tri-Power system and designed through the years to performance standards. The "670" Heads with larger valves help to. Keeping to 1967 only before you go into round port heads please.

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 10-14-2021 at 02:36 PM.