View Single Post
Old 03-30-2021, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
The KRX Recaros I had in my 71 T/A, they fit well, and had them in there since mid-80s.

They may look bulky, but each individual piece adjusts separately, like the side bolters, the top half of the seat, and the headrest.

You can shop the ones that came OE, but trust me when I say they are not cheap. Replacement foam pieces are even harder to find. Some limited aftermarket reproductions for the OE ones are available, but there again, not cheap.

Even though the OE ones are one piece, they are still not easy to make covers for.

as with anything it all depends on where you find them & yes they are getting harder to find as time goes on, but i would not say most are overly expensive, the 81 pace car seats are probably the most expensive & hardest to find. but i have bought parts cars with these seats for less than $1000 in recent years & have seen the 3rd gen firebird seats quite often in decent shape for $250-$500/pr. & im sure it was a fluke but i also bought 2 pairs of the 79 mustang recaros recently in good condition for $200 & sold them for much less than they are worth im sure. have seen lots of 79 mustang parts cars in my area too for very reasonable prices. just wanted to mention them as an option.

for covering them, any reputable upholstery shop can make covers for reasonable prices & make new foam sections. ive seen quite a few of the pace car seats be recovered/repaired & even try to match the original red/black fabric, but its next to impossible to find a good match to that original material. ive seen them done in leather & cloth on the other seats as well that look very nice. reproduction foam & parts are available for many of the recaro seats too from a couple companies out there.

the big side bolsters just dont look right to me in the pics ive seen, theres even one style with power adjustment controls in the bottom bolsters, these seats must be from or intended for very big cars or even vans, they just seem out of place & too big for most muscle cars, but thats just my personal preference, im sure they are nice seats.