View Single Post
Old 10-02-2023, 11:31 AM

I have a 31' Class C motorhome built on a Ford E-450 Super Duty chassis. We have 10 feet of overhang behind the rear wheels and the weight distributing hitch adds another foot past the bumper. We have the hitch you describe in #3 with the bars. We have a 20' enclosed trailer rated to 7000lbs loaded. Our Gross Combined Vehicle Weight is 20,000 lbs. and we travel pretty close to that weight. Our motor home also has an air bag system that we keep at 40lbs for towing.
Our car hauler has the flat front, not a V-nose and the ball mount is 3 feet out from the front of the trailer, the hitch adds another foot. Our motorhome is wider and taller than the car hauler so it keeps the wind off the front of the trailer and with 4' between, we do have plenty of room to make almost a 90 degree turn.
We traveled a long distance across country without the weight distributing hitch bars attached. (My friend said we didn't need them and wouldn't make a difference, he was wrong). Our motorhome did a good job keeping everything under control but every time an 18 wheeler pasted us it was like being on a plane going through turbulence. Like it was pushing us aside as it past us. Our next trip I connected the weight distributing bars and traveling in the Mid-west with 25-30 mph wind gusts, we couldn't even feel the trailer behind us. It made a world of difference and I would highly recommend them! Yes the bars are a little noisy but we only hear them rub when turning slowly pulling out of a parking lot or fuel station. I think the bars in the brackets along the frame of the trailer provides the best sway control over the chain style. That's my personal experience and hope that helps!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 68 461 Bird For This Useful Post: