View Single Post
Old 03-15-2024, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Champ

Sounds like a cool car/limo, Im guessing its not driven very much and depending on the type/quality of the tires I doubt they need to be changed in the time some are advocating. But changing as you see fit and can afford is perfectly fine. For me & many others, we cant or dont want to spend $1000 every 5-6 years when the tires are physically ok based on everything you can see... again even brand new tires with 500 miles can be defective or have problems from user error.

I realize tires start aging the day they are made, but how much & what that actually does to the tires is debatable & unproven that they all need replaced just from sitting in a store or persons house for a handful of years.
The 4-5 year old new BFGs in my basement are still as soft as they were when new, still have that new tire smell everytime I go down to the laundry room, and are perfectly safe to cruise around on a couple thousand easy miles per year, IMO.

I also have a few good friends that are life long mechanics & tire tech guys, one has been at goodyear for 35+ years... he/they dont usually change tires that are in good condition but may be past some arbitrary date, some say 5 years some say 7... michelin says 10. its all case by case & tire companies want to sell you new tires so they come up with a magical date and for their own liability reasons. Also lots of shops still sell used tires, many are well over 5 years old.

Change tires, oil, braided fuel hose, washer hose, etc etc as you see fit & can afford, but anyone telling others what they have to do based on a subjective date or opinion or a worst case scenario is pointless since each situation is different is all I was saying.