View Single Post
Old 12-04-2021, 09:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Inside or outside the car?

I've found that by using factory hangers it greatly reduces any noise or drone inside the car. To take that even further, when I installed the 2" tailpipes on the Z for a stock appearance it knocked the sound down considerably, to the point where my wife now likes it, and she daily drives it. Personally I liked the sound better with 2 1/2" tailpipes but ultimately she's the one that has to be happy with it.

On my Firebird I ran the old Flowmaster Force II transverse system on it for years (not made anymore) and that was still much louder than the Pypes setup. Now the only transverse system Flowmaster makes is the American Thunder. Had that on a Nova and it was just down right obnoxious. Way too loud for me.

Outside the car, as far as Pypes goes, I've never liked their racepro mufflers when in a dual muffler configuration (like an A body). They are just all around loud and lack a refined sound. I always liked their streetpro's better. Unfortunately when using their transverse muffler it's only made in the racepro design, but I've never found it as loud as a dual muffler setup.

When it comes to transverse systems my other favorite is the Dynomax 89021. That one is quieter by a large margin and fitment is nice. It's aluminized (not stainless) but the best part is that it's under $300 for the kit. Mandrel bent 2 1/2" with an "H" cross over. Nice system for the money.

My go to mufflers these days are Dynomax.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE