Thread: 400 hp possible
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2005, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That crower would be a pretty good choice from the others experience/opinions on this,and "size" wise I feel it is in the neighborhood for most cams other than the comp XE series,I feel it should do the job here myself as well.

I used the comp lobes as an example to demonstrate what I would consider the "high-limit" for this type of deal while still attempting to acheive some sort of day to day "manners" in a "street" type combination,but as I pointed out,some are willing to accept what others may not,and in that case it will pay to err on the conservative side of choices.

Every combination is different,and a few small changes in one area will often require a few changes in other areas as well to achieve the best overall performance from a given combination.

For instance most all my more recent cars are manual disc cars,so idle vacuum is usually less of a concern to me than it would be for most,and I am usually willing to give up few lbs.ft. down low for the sake of being able to limit tire spin and pick up a few HP in the mid range.

This why most of my "personal" cam choices tend to employ tighter LSAs than most,but I wont generally recommend that for others as often they are not overly happy with the choppier idle and lower idle vacuum that they produce,but in my situation I use it to narrow down the power band and "aim" it at a specific RPM range via the ICL.

Cams like these MUST be degreed in to work properly,and often may need to be changed a few times to find the best overall ICL.

Also to use them effectively you also need to ensure a free flowing exhaust path to try and limit the low RPM reversion they can exhibit due to their design.

It all depends on how much you are after power wise,where you want the power band to be,and what your willing to live with in the way of overall ride quality.

And often many decisions are made to account for items already in place,such as gearing,convertors and/or transmissions,exhaust,intake/carb,and so on.

The combination pablo listed should achieve his goal with relative ease and little trouble,so what's not to like about that?