View Single Post
Old 10-24-2017, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Yes, yes, yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC View Post
you can always pull the distributer and manually prime the engine to see if any pressure comes up..
Absolutely the first thing to do. Pull the distributor and see if the pump still works.
If it does, drain the oil and look or snake a wire in the drain plug hole to see if the pickup fell off.
Pumps are submerged but with the pickup off you get the bathtub (vortec) drain effect of the little tornado of air getting sucked in the pump. This will cause the oil pressure to fluctuate.

#2 rod is end of the line as far as oil PRESSURE feeding the rods. BUT, with a complete sudden loss of oil flow...Rear main, #7 and #8 rods are the FIRST to do without oil.

If the oil pump is working and the pickup is intact...I'ld be terribly tempted to overfill the crankcase with oil and fire the engine up. If all it is is a piece of trash stuck in the pressure relief valve, you could get lucky by reving the engine cold and shoving the valve open enough to let the trash wash out. Stuck open pressure relief will make oil pressure drop down. But that doesn't mean there's not any flow. Down enough for lifters to tick doesn't always mean the crank is being starved for oil.

Just hate to see a one day job turn into a major event.

And yes I do believe in miracles.
Clay