View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013, 05:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
More good points above about doing some disassembly or assembly yourself. I have no problem with a customer removing the engine, interior, glass, etc. Or we can do all of it.
Cars I have in the shop that owners took apart and plan to finish assembly:
'68 Mustang coupe
'68 Mustang 2+2
'68 Charger
'71 440 Six-Pack 'Cuda
These cars will leave with at least trunk, doors, fenders and hoods bolted on and adjusted to fit.

Cars I am doing 100%
'57 Chevy Sedan
'64 Plymouth Hemi
'70 Challenger 340

What you do not want to do is totally disassemble the body!
Leave the trunk lid, doors and front end on. Bumpers too. Anyone who knows what they are doing will want to see the fit of each panel while on the car. If I get in a car that has the sheet metal off, I have to assemble all of it again to find fit problems. I also need all of the trim on hand for test fitting.
If a car comes in assembled, nothing comes off until I can make all panels fit. Ask your shop what the process is.
Case in point. Recently another PY member brought his painted body and front end to me for assembling. The car had been in a shop in another town for a couple of years. It has new rockers, floors and quarters, but the shop never fitted the fenders.
We spent 16 hours getting them acceptable. Perfect would mean reshaping and painting from the doors forward, not something the owner wants to do.
Another recent case. Our 'Cuda customer took his apart years ago. When he brought it to us three weeks ago, we put the old front end together. Nothing would fit square, so I started looking over the front frame rails. I found a small kink in both. We pulled it onto the frame machine and clamped it down, started taking measurements. Both rails were knocked to the right about 1/2" and high. After pulling it back and some hammering on the rails, the parts fit again. I also bolted the trunk lid back on. Both rear corners sloped up, so that was corrected before any bodywork.
These are not things anyone wants to discover after a car is painted.
Point being this. You can save lots of money doing work yourself. Just don't cost yourself money by doing too much.

BTW, I do Pontiacs too!
Never thought of this good point, thanks.