View Single Post
Old 11-28-2021, 06:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As far as carbs vs EFI, Both of our dailys have carbs if that tells you anything.

As far as carbs go I either like original OEM holleys or a Qjet. Either are easy to tune. I like aftermarket Holleys, and I'm talking if you get into the good ones that cost nearly $1000. Usually if I need something like that I build my own starting with a good main body and go from there.

My only complaint is the drastic elevation changes we deal with in Arizona. I can watch the AFR change more than a full point and up to a point and a half in either direction within 20-30 miles of the house. Makes it a challenge to dial in a carb to work in all conditions and try to keep the engine safe at the same time.

For giggles dad and I decided to try Holley EFI on a couple of the cars that aren't driven too regularly. We do take them down to near sea level for racing but spend most of their time driving up above 5000 feet. You almost just need 2 carburators for that and swap the other on at the track.
For that reason we tried a couple of Snipers on both cars. Their ability to adjust on the fly was a game changer and just so much easier to deal with. Last weekend we drove them both to Phoenix and I loaded a different tune in to log when near sea level just to see the changes and compare. Gotta say it was nice to tweak on it and never had to open the hood. My 600hp 454 got 16.8 mpg with the new 4L80E behind it. I'm not complaining.
I still like carbs though.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE