View Single Post
Old 03-14-2022, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Rotella View Post
If you plan on reusing the crankshaft in the engine, I strongly suggest having it mag tested to make sure it's crack-free. Generally speaking, if a balancer isn't torqued properly (particularly to the point it breaks), it can't dampen harmonics correctly, which forces the crankshaft to dampen them. That can then lead to fatigue/cracks in the cheek area where the journals meet the counterweights over time.

I also see the "77" on your block. It it happens to be a 500557 casting, they have the thinner main saddles, which may have also been affected by having to absorb the harmonics. I'd suggest having it mag tested too for piece of mind.
If it tests OK, and you plan to use it...I'd take a cartridge roll and de-burr ALL the sharp edges in the bottom end of the block, especially the oil feed holes on the main saddles and the dowel pin holes.

IF, IF all the reading I've done here lately, it is best to use the roll pins (spring pins) in the thin blocks??? Anyone???

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...