View Single Post
Old 11-24-2020, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
That sounds like a challenge, i accept. Lol.

Wasn't knocking the combo, I've actually liked that particular setup for a nice street engine. Just that they don't tend to reach 600hp like that, and that's okay.

I've done 463-467ci with conventional style 320-330 cfm heads, usually round ports but the KRE D-ports you're using are similar. My favorite cam in a few different engines is the 242/248 grind very similar to what you're using, and I almost always use that RPM intake with a 950hp carb. Those engines I've done all used 2" headers though, not smaller 1 3/4 that you have.
The Pontiac just simply peaks around 570-580hp like I mentioned, usually around 5800-6000 rpm but they make boat loads of torque. Very table top flat and just over 600 ft lbs. It's a great street engine and will run mid to low 11's in a 4000 lbs street car out here.
Now if you were to step up the heads to a high port, or some serious porting on the conventional head, and maybe a little more cam, or a good single plane intake to push peak HP and rpm up a bit, I could see it. When using the RPM intake, I had to use a 1" open spacer to get the peak HP up where I predicted for your combo, but it still wasn't 600hp.

The only way I've been able to top 600hp with similar combos like that is with a BBC. 461 ci, 10.2:1 compression, RPM air gap intake and 950HP, again with 2" hooker super comp headers, and the same 242/248 camshaft, but with far superior AFR heads that flow 370 cfm, but they are still a conventional BBC head with nothing fancy. It makes 612hp up at 6300 rpm but it simply doesn't make the torque like a Pontiac, in the 580 range at a higher rpm. It's really the cylinder heads that are doing it. Far better than a conventional Pontiac head, so I don't need as much camshaft to make more HP. Personally I like the torque curve of the Pontiac. Not knocking your combo, it's a great all around package that isn't too rowdy.

Now you may find a dyno that'll move the numbers around a bit, but it is what it is. I'd like to see a video and dyno sheet, as long as they give you BSFC and LBS. per hr numbers.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE