View Single Post
Old 09-24-2022, 04:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs72lemans View Post
I'm not sure rust is a big issue with the Spectra tanks. They are coated as opposed to just bare steel. I understand the ethanol with water issue, but they are coated to resist rust. I just use non ethanol or premium anyway to get away from that costly issue (messes up carbs, etc.).
Thanks and understood. Ethanol-free gas would definitely reduce risk but it is expensive if I want to drive the car.

Spectra says "Ni-terne" which I interpret as pre-plated steel sheet with something other than zinc. (link to some info here) Yes, better than bare steel but if it only lasts 5 years, I'd be upset. My guess is it will last longer than that but I don't want to revisit a few years down the road.

Photos show the problem I'm trying to eliminate. The rust might be from the lines and not the tank but the 52-yr-old tank is going to be replaced as a starting point.

I don't think stainless is worth the extra cost for my beater but real-life experience will make me feel better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Check your local parts store. I bought a Spectra tank for my 68 right over the counter. They had to order it from the warehouse but it was there by 1:00 p.m. and no shipping. The price was a little better than I had found online also. The disclaimer is that it was probably 10 years ago.
By the way, mine still looks brand new after having been on the car for a decade at least. I degreased it with lacquer thinner and sprayed it with clear.
On the sending units, I think you should keep your original if it still works. I've heard stories about some of the new ones crapping out after 5 or 6 years. Frankly, mine can be a little flaky from time to time... I replaced it with the tank.
Thank you Greg.

Have you had pump gas in the Spectra tank for 10 years and no issue? Sounds good enough to me and yes, I am leaning toward a Spectra tank through the local parts store.

Good warning on the sending units. My original is still working so maybe I can get away with just cleaning it up and replacing the sock. I'll know more when I pull it out, I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180616_123839.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	599297   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180613_073205.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	599299