View Single Post
Old 12-22-2017, 10:00 AM
Boost Engineer

Going to talk just a bit about early Holley Dominators, today.
Just a quick overview, a story, and maybe more in depth later.

"The World Famous Holley Dominator® also made its debut in 1968, developed specifically for NASCAR® racing." (From the Holley Site).
(Some magazine articles say 1969) and the public could not get a carb from Holley until 1970.

Ford and the other manufacturers were told "No MORE Dual Quad Carb Set-ups in Racing", so the Holley 3-BBL and the
Tri-Power Carb Set-ups were moved to the front of the line. NASCAR was also (I am told) was worried about vehicle speeds.

So Ford went the other way and commissioned Holley Carburetor in the Mid 60s to come up with a LARGE SINGLE CARB for NASCAR racing.
Ford continued to use multiple carbs in other forms of racing. So the first Dominators were created. There were two versions:

A Individual Runner Version of the carb was used on Trans Am engines and was R6214-AAA
(Doug Nash Dual Quad manifold (Pontiac) was designed to use two of those IR carbs). The Nash upper plenum was added later to run 660 cfm carbs.

The Part Number for the first NASCAR Dominators was List Number R4575-AAA and were 1150 cfm carbs. They used conventional down leg boosters,
had a Choke, had a PCV Connection, and Ported Vacuum. Later versions of the carb were lower in CFM and were 1050 cfm carbs.

I have attached a pic of one carb. (the other pics would not copy to this thread).

One other comment: I had a pair of the Individual Runner TRANS AM carbs 6214-AAA
They had one hole machined slightly wrong (but it could be easily fixed. The carbs were to be scrapped.
So in the old Holley days you could get a slip that said you would not sue Holley and Holley would give the employee
the carb to play with. You could use it for teaching, decoration, or even run the thing on your vehicle.

So I took the two IR carbs with the very tall boosters and made two "Racing Lamps" out of the carbs.
4 plexiglas tinted tubes (one inserted into each booster.) Then a base at the top for a dual socket 60 watt bulbs and finally the shade.
The carbs sat on air cleaner stud extensions made from brass and used in commercial trucks.
Cool set-up. Open the primary blades and one bulb came on. Open the secondary blades and the second bulb came on.
(Switches installed in NASCAR Nose Bowls in the accelerator pump housings.)

Years later a guy was restoring a NASCAR FORD and heard that I had a couple of the IR NASCAR carbs so he called me,
I removed the lamp stuff, set them up so they would run correctly, and sent them to him for his museum car.

Tom V.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Le Mans Bowl Dominator1.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	470716  

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 12-22-2017 at 10:05 AM.