View Single Post
Old 12-22-2017, 03:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The Racing Junk article is by far the most informative and in depth, also gives a simple formula to convert a 1.5" Hg depression test to a 3".

Great explanation on compatibility with common Holley parts, detailed breakdown of components with dimensions, descriptions, photos, "uber cool" way of presenting material but of course obviously and most important accuracy of information!

Now I see how easily the accuracy as well as integrity of information can and does get compromised, then readily accepted by the novice Rodder such as myself.

Had it not been for my attendance at Tom V's Holley School Of Thumb I would have never given it a second thought an took it for gospel. Thank you Tom!

The article from Racing Junk exposes the improper comparison by Hot Rod's columnist between the 750 CFM Holley vs. the so called 1,025 (in actuality 725) CFM Tri Power set up.

As you have stated in this thread...
Quote:
Racing Junk
A two-barrel carb is tested (for flow) at 3" Hg depression. On the other hand, four-barrel carburetors are flow rated at 1.5" Hg depression. These are the industry standards for carburetor airflow testing.
◾1025 divided by 1.414 equals 724.9 or, 725 CFM.
On the other hand you have this...
Quote:
Hot Rod
If our math is right, that totals an overkill of 1,025 cfm,
◾325 + 350 + 350 = 1,025 CFM
To compound the misinformation further and misfortune to others...
Quote:
Hot Rod
Don’t stress over achieving a 100 percent opening of all six barrels—with over 1,000 cfm on tap,
To reiterate, physics do not change, on the other hand, you can play with numbers...

As always Much Thanks

Frank