View Single Post
Old 12-12-2017, 09:19 AM
Boost Engineer

The carb in the previousl post was a 625 cfm 2 barrel carb #6425 Holley that used a Annular Discharge Venturi (not a Annular Discharge Booster)

After you read the article, this is what we will know:

a) "There is no such thing as a carb that is too big"
I can agree with that as when I worked for Holley, we tested 350 cid "Pro Stock" type engines with two Special Dominators that flowed 2400 cfm each or 4800 cfm total for the engine. 10,000 plus rpm engine and ONE BARREL feeding ONE Cylinder. The Booster Signal on that one barrel was Extremely High. It would go to sleep for 7 cylinder firings and then go to Max Signal for that specific cylinder event.

b) "Fuel Vaporization and Droplet Size does make a difference"

c) "Booster Gain" is an important Air/Fuel Tool for "Maximum Horsepower"

d) "Booster Gain" is an important Air/Fuel Tool for "Maximum Horsepower" But there is physics involved in doing it right
"Low Gain Boosters" can at times perform better vs "High Gain Boosters", so generic rules typically do not apply and can actually generate less performance. Temperature makes a difference

e) Small changes in a booster design can improve or make worse performance in an engine. "Copy Cat" Mods typically done without knowledge of the physics and good evaluation tools: Flow Benches and Dynos, as well as track testing will make a difference, most times for less performance. Beware of "Trick of the Week" Carb Modifiers.

Here is the Article:

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/0511p...boosters-tech/
Written by David Vizard on October 4, 2005
Quotes By David Vizard:

Understanding Boosters Can Enhance Top-End Output Without Impairing Bottom End.

Tom V.

ps I really like the way David V presents info in an article.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.