View Single Post
Old 01-31-2023, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A little update on the Studebaker 289. They ran it last night and did the break-in on the engine, camshaft and valvetrain specifically. Checked everything out mechanically and made a couple base line pulls just to make sure everything was OK. Initial break-in was with a "school carburetor". This is a little BLP Holley that was donated to the school 15 years ago that we use if a student doesn't have a carburetor or we suspect their carburetor has problems. The Studebaker doesn't have a carb because it is going Fitech tonight. Once tuned-in and running decent with FI, the supercharger will be added to the mix next week. To answer some questions posted in the thread over the last few days;

Camshaft: solid roller of unknown specs. Cam card coming tonight will post specs. later. It's mild.
Connecting rods: Carrillo I beams full floating
Crankshaft: factory forged
Ignition: GM HEI grafted to Studebaker distributor
Intake manifold: Chrysler very low single plane with Studebaker flanges
Car engine to be installed in: 1964 Studebaker Daytona. (Basically a trimmed out Lark but they dropped the Lark name in 64)
Center exhaust ports: Left stock and siamesed. No practical way to separate them according to owner. Others have tried with no real performance gains.
Static compression: 8:1
Results from a couple run in pulls: Peak torque: 308.8 ft. lbs @ 4200 RPM
Peak HP: 295.2 @ 5800 RPM.

More updates to follow. Thanks for the interest in this "orphan engine". Something a little different. No sugar coating or games at our school. The widowmaker, (our dyno), is the NO BS meter.

I did make a little video of a run-in pull. I hate to impose but if someone is tech savvy enough and wants to PM me, I can send you raw footage from my I phone you can feel free to post. I just don't know how to get it from my phone to the message board or even youtube for that matter. Just not my thing. Thank you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post: