Thread: 6x-4's or 8s?
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2021, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewm View Post
There are many threads on the positives and negatives of these heads, but all things being equal, which bare head would you prefer to start with for a 400 stroker build? The smaller chamber of the 4's or the larger 8's? Or are there other reasons you would choose one over the other?

Thanks
Drew
Drew, To answer your direct question, in a PUMP GAS (street) cast iron 6x type Stroker build in a 400 block, if the plan was to go with a 4.00" stroke crank, that would allow slightly milled 6X-4's & an undished piston. That noted, if you have a pair of 6X-8's or 5C-7 or 5C-8 heads (with near 100cc chambers), they would be better suited to 4.25" stroke build in a 400 block.

Procuring 6X-4's,mthey will command more $$$ & are typically harder to find than the 100cc chamber '75-78 400 heads. Through the 90's & early 00's, I kept a major Pontiac crate engine builder in 400 6x-4 longblocks. In doing so, I routinely pulled 6X-4's & mated them with '67-early '75 400 shortblocks. Also pulled all the W72 longblocks I could for future sales. In several yards I was literally chunking 100 cc smog era Pontiac heads in the open trunks of cars. Only if I was long on 455 short blocks would I need the few 6x-8's that came in usually on partscar 400's.